All you need to know about Shoes...

In some of my previous posts, I tried to teach you a few words in Iraqi dialect.

So let's recap. We've already covered the following words:

PAPPAZ = STOOGE, PUPPET, CLOWN, JESTER...

BOOMA = VERY STUPID/DUMB


Today you will learn a new word that might come in very handy on certain occasions.

KUNDARA wil be the subject of today's lesson.

KUNDARA = SHOE

But not any shoe. You need to understand that in most Middle Eastern cultures, the shoe can be considered as an object of disrespect and or pollution/dirt.

For instance, in traditional homes, you leave your shoe at the door before entering, just like in a mosque.

In other instances, it is very shameful to sit and have your shoe pointing in someone's face. I noticed Americans have this very ugly habit of putting their feet up with their shoes on their desks and the sole of their shoe stares at you. Most impolite really. But then American never had any manners.

So building on this natural aversion to shoes, the shoe "concept" can be used when you want to insult someone or denigrate them.

You can say for example:

- ENTA KUNDARA = You're a Shoe. Or,

- IBN Al-KUNDARA = Son of a Shoe. Or,

- SHLON KUNDARA = What a Shoe!

And if you need to push it a little further, you may say :

- WIJHAQ WIJH AL-KUNDARA = Your face is like a shoe.

and even stronger would be

- BIL KUNDARA = a threatening remark involving the potential use of a shoe.

Of course you can use all the above.

If you feel that insults and threats are not sufficient and you want to pass onto actions involving shoes - then this is what you need to do




And before I finish today's lesson, let me remind you that both young and old can partake in the shoe action / ceremony.

See you next class and don't forget to rehearse.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"The potential use of a shoe", possibly of your by now web-widely known Italian-made high heels, could be a fine public humiliation (if you see what I mean) of the fat bearded drillers before their just execution through mass hanging by the balls...
Anonymous said…
Layla Anwar, giveing the sleeping world a bit of Bill Jazmah to help wake it up that much faster :)
Anonymous said…
A perfect post. Such succinct wit.
Wonderful use of English. Unlike much of today's media, I understand what you write. But a word of warning: you better dumb down - you are leaving your average American behind.
Unfortunately, I am unable to participate in the shoe ceremony due to distance (and cowardice).
Anonymous said…
slapping a man holding an AK with a shoe could be bad for my health. Pretty damn ballsy, and steen is right. I'm getting tired of flipping through the dictionary to read your posts.
Layla Anwar said…
idea,

that's very funny...lol

but can't waste my precious italian shoe on that bag of slime...only an old kundara will do and even that would be considered a waste.
Layla Anwar said…
snoozer,

maybe if you did not snooze as much, you'd care to give me a hand too. :-)
Layla Anwar said…
steen,

are you implying that Americans are dumb - God forbid! lol
Layla Anwar said…
cowboy,

I am providing you with the translation and you still don't get it. During your tour in Iraq, were you not called a booma and a kundara ? Come on am sure you were.
Kosta said…
Layla.
I used 'SHLON KUNDARA' but it didn't raise a responce from my intended target.

So then I used the picture you posted.
It was quite evocative of a responce it seems, but not the one I sought.

I've been kicked off of an Australian Muslim Chat site.

It all started over another member (Nadzz) stating...
"another typicall western girl who dont care about sleeping with other men every night"
http://muslimvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42881&st=30&start=30

Naturaly, as a father of 3 'western' daughters and a wife; I came back at him with 'guns blazing'.
The argument blew over onto another topic.
http://muslimvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42965&st=60&start=60

I'd been a non-muslim member for over 1 year.

These Aussie Muslims seem less tollerant of 'westerners' than many of you are. It may be because they face social predjudice daily, and can't escape it.

I'm not sure if I've crossed the line, to be honest.
I felt that critisism against him by other members was a 'trifle' or lacking.
You can read the exchange on the url's above.
But you need to be a member to read what I posted on the 'Introductions' section where I started a new topic, because, frankly I was fed up with them.
So I'll post it all here.
But I think it'd be fair to read it in the context of the exchange leading up to it.

You kind of prompted me Layla; when you said that, you too were disapointed in the political interest/activity of religious web sites.
Topic Title The Beast Has Been Slain.
If anyone, of any religious faith or even atheist, has come to this web site seeking to find politically minded kindred spirits in their concerns for the horrors being committed in the Middle East or anywhere, without being tied down by religious rhetoric and blind faith; Then don’t bother.

If you’ve chatted online for any significant period, you know that it’s near impossible to change any other’s opinions; although your chances will improve if they respect you. So unless you’re prepared to spend a year here pussyfooting and avoiding what you really want to discuss; Then Don’t Bother.

Christian, Jew, or Muslim; if that’s how they identify their website, then it’s clear what their priority is; ie. To save a man’s soul and not his life.

If Secular justice is what you crave for, then don’t bother:
Put your attention elsewhere..

If you really want to know more about the crisis in the Middle East; then speak to the locals. The net is flooded with blogs written by ‘locals’, there is no shortage of them that are more proficient in English than most of us in the AngloCentric States

You may initially receive resistance to your approach and even verbal abuse, and rightly so, in light of the suffering brought about so often by us.
I suggest you begin in a sincere manner explaining why you are different to the rest of us and don’t retaliate after the 1st insult you get, as I find our American ‘cousins’ tend to do after a token apology.

There are many, many Muslims and those of other faiths that are primarily driven by logic and not just blind faith.
Although I have found the members of this web-site to be largely more civilised in their manner of discourse than most ‘Christian’ or ‘Jewish’ sites I have visited….. but….We all have our ‘bible belts’.

This will be the last topic I post on, so; as you were.
but I still might take a peek.



I am interested to hear any critisism, especialy by those from Muslims Lands.
But not so interested in the opinions of those more interested in saving a man's soul rather than his life; regardless of religious denomination.

I hope you don't mind if we turn this 'light hearted' blog topic of yours into a bit of a chat Layla.
If so, I'll post up my email address instead.

Have I been a Kundara?

Popular posts from this blog

Endless Beginnings...

Diss Information.

Why ?